Our Church’s long history began in 1940 in the home of Vaughn and Grace Greene. The burden on their hearts was to see a Baptist Church started in what was then rural Washington Township (established in 1827). Their hopes became reality when a Baptist Church in a neighboring town lent their support to the dream.
The Church was able to utilize a former church building, then owned by a men’s club, until 1943. In 1944, we were able to purchase a building closer to the present site, the Weir Block. This building was renovated to house the Sunday school, church services and a home for the Pastor and his family. The present location was purchased in 1954 and the new facilities of the first phase were built and dedicated on Sunday, October 7, 1956.
First Baptist Church of Washington has, at our heart, missions, and we support a great host of missionaries around the world, as well as projects here at home. Growth has been steady and a final addition was added to the facilities and dedicated in January, 2007.
Over the years the demographics of the area have changed so that we are no longer purely rural. Shopping centers, condominium, housing estates and golf courses abound and blend with farmland, garden markets, orchards and cider mills to give us the best of both worlds.
We have become the country church in the city – the church with an Historic Past and a Promising Future.